I know that there has been plenty of people writing about traveling or going west. I just want to write about my families quest to live a dream before we are to old to accomplish it. We were drowning in bills, living paycheck to paycheck and still unable to save money. So three years ago I saw Alaska the last frontier and it struck a note in my head that I could not get out. It reminded me of when I was younger and we live on a farm in Middleburg, Florida with my Grandmother and Aunts. I had my husband to look at the and he started thinking about his childhood on a tobacco farm. I looked at him and said lets do it lets leave this fast paced and move there. He told me to think about it some more and see if I still felt this way.
I know I am making this sound to easy, but in the past three years I have went from a Nurse who worked two and 1/2 jobs to being was placed on the disabled list (LOL). Well any way I let the disease get the best of me and started wasting away, well anyway here I am researching Alaska and what part of it I could convince my husband to live in. I wasn't the fact that there were wild animals there or that he would be building a log cabin fro scratch, that he was all for it was the fact that it would be cold, I mean really cold there and that he doesn't like.
So I finally found a area that I believe he could live with, and guess what it is near Keina peninsular. The winters and not as cold as the central or northern portions of the state. Alright now I have that covered I needed to figure out how we would afford this adventure. I added up all the bills that includes utilities, rent; everything. we were spending over $2500 and that doesn't included fuel or food. So how can I cut this down. I knew we had to find a trailer or rv to take with us but could I be so bold and suggest this to him that we start out that way now and in 10 months? I slipped the question to him and even showed him an example of how much we could save by doing this, and he agreed. I know what you are thinking, we all want to do something like this but who has the time, or we have gotten to old, so why give up all our safety nets to try this?
When I say I looked at the area of Alaska to check the weather I guess I wasn't being totally honest. Before I even told Clint to look at the series I had been watching I had done a lot of research, I looked at the price of land buying it from the state and buying it from private owner. The Department of Natural Resources land sales, they mostly has land in the south central and Clint doesn't want to live there. I checked out the lower southwest by homer and there was some great untouched land that was affordable.
So now we started our search trying to find living quarters that wasn't to small for us. We decided that money and storage space would be the criteria for what we would get and just last week we purchased a 1996 Georgia boy Pursuit. I know you are saying that this is to old but it only had 45,000 miles and needed a little work inside (carpet replaced). Downsizing was the problem that we had the most. Getting rid of furniture and personal items that we didn't need anymore was the worst. I live in Florida and taking bathing suits and swimming equipment would just be taking up space. Trying to convince our families that we were doing this was easy until we got the rv then everyone was very worried. They felt we were to old, I quickly let them know that I researched that to and found out that we are considered just right compared to others who visited there and stayed. We have been living in the rv park for about a week now and are loving it. Stay posted for our journey to a simple way of life.
I hope your travels are safe and blessed! Keep us posted on how things go!
ReplyDelete